Obituaries K – M

Fairbanks, Alaska, Daily News Miner, September 2, 1969, pg. 3

King Service Set Wednesday

Funeral services for Alan Hasting King, 62, will be held Wednesday at 1 pm at the Chapel of Chimes with the Pioneers of Alaska officiating. Burial will follow at Birch Hill cemetery.

Mr. King died at his home August 29. He is survived by his widow, Lila May King, 407 11th Ave.

He was born in Tacoma, Wash., August 15, 1907. He was a retired electronic and radio technician and last worked at Fort Wainwright. He has lived in Fairbanks and the interior regions for the last ten years.

In lieu of flowers the family requests that donations be made to the Hospitality House. Pall bearers for Mr. King will be Roy Rouse, Manfred Kane, Ted Wilken, Rodney Williams, Jim Nastos, Bill Schaefer, Arnold Elieff, Jim Dalton and Mac Fenton. Frank Dodd will be an honorary pallbearer.

Newspaper clipping, source unknown


Funeral services were held for Mrs. Leila Lee Monday March 7, 1949 from the Hanlin Funeral Home at 1:30 and the Baptist Church in Tuscola (Mich.) at 2:00 p.m. with Rev. Oral Duckworth, Millington Baptist Pastor, assisted by Rev. Evans, Tuscola Pastor. Burial was in Chapel cemetery in Arbela. W.E. Hanlin was the undertaker.

Leila Edith Clemons Lee was born in Tuscola Village, July 9, 1875, the daughter of Fred and Ermina Briggs Clemons. She was married March 3, 1897 to Porter Lee, son of L. Henry and Frances (Hunt) Lee. He passed away on August 11, 1940.

In her girlhood and youth she was a regular and interested member of the Sunday School of the Baptist Church of Tuscola. Always and ever ready to take part in all the activities of the church. At times filling the chair of organist and always ready to lift her sweet voice to sing praise, with other members of the choir and for a long time was secretary of the Sunday School. In appreciation for her unfailing interest in the Sunday School, she was presented with a small Bible which she prized through all the years and is now left as a memento of her youth and happy work. At her marriage the S.D. presented with a beautiful set of silver spoons and a letter which was very expressive of their appreciation.

She was a most dutiful and loving daughter, the mother and father were ill a great deal and even as a child she took on the duties of little housekeeper and nurse.

She leaves to mourn: two sons, Herman A. Lee and Rolland P. Lee, a sister, Mrs. Flossie Willets (sic) and one brother, Claude R. Clemons, six grandchildren and one great grandchild and a host of friends.

Dixon (Ill.) Evening Telegraph, Feb. 10, 1933 Front Page Headliner


Jno. M’Kinnon Dropped Dead at Hotel Fire
Historic Keefer Hotel Totally Destroyed Last Evening

John C. MacKinnon, member of the city council of Amboy, general manager of the Amboy Milk Product Company and member of the Illinois Emergency Relief Commission committee for Lee county, dropped dead last evening about 6 o’clock while assisting the Amboy fire department in fighting a fire which totally destroyed the Keefer House, historic Amboy hostelry. Mr. MacKinnon was captain of the volunteer fire department and was in the act of connecting a hose to a fire plug when he was suddenly stricken with a heart attack and fell dead. His body was removed immediately to the Vaughn mortuary.

The fire was a double shock to citizens of Amboy and Lee county, marking the sudden death of one of Amboy’s most influential citizens, who was well known throughout the county, together with the total destruction of the city’s principal hotel. The fire which started on the second floor of the hotel gained rapid headway and soon broke through the roof. Within a short time it was apparent that the structure was doomed and the departments from Dixon and Sublette were called upon for aid. …(these) local departments took no active work in fighting…stood by in readiness to assist in the event flames spread to adjoining structures….

The Amboy firemen, covered with ice and fighting in a ten below zero temperature, were successful in confining the flames to the old two story frame hotel building…

Mr. MacKinnon, captain of the Amboy fire department, had come out of the smoke filled building to direct the changing of a line of hose from one fire plug to another. The plug nearest the doomed structure was found to be frozen when the department arrived and it was necessary to connect the hose with another plug one block east. Later, when the plug was thawed out, the hose was changed over. Captain MacKinnon went east to close off the one plug and had completed this task and started back to the scene of the fire, when he fell face down in the snow, death being instantaneous. Coroner Frank M. Banker is conducting an inquest over the remains at the Vaughan Mortuary this afternoon.

Native of Canada

John C. MacKinnon, general manager of the Amboy Milk Products company was the son of Charles and Elisabeth Close MacKinnon and was born in Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada, April 29, 1873. In his early youth he moved to Guelph where his family still resides. In 1893 he moved to Shaw in this county, where he entered the employ of K.S. Townsend. Six months later he became manager of the creamery at West Brooklyn. In 1895 he was united in marriage to M. Blanche Harrison of Hamilton, Ontario.

As soon as the Sanitary Creamery Company was started in Amboy, Mr. MacKinnon was called to resume the management of this concern and later took over the interests of K.S. Townsend. It was from this small but thriving business that the base was formed which developed rapidly and today forms the Amboy Milk Products Company.

Member of Council

At the time of his death he was a member of the Amboy city council, being alderman from the first ward. He was a member of the Illinois emergency relief commission of Lee county. He had also been associated as a member of the Amboy park board, the Lee County Fair Association and the board of Directors of the Amboy public hospital. He was also manager of the Amboy Shadows theater for a number of years.

Fraternally he was a member of Illinois Central lodge, No. 178, A.F.&AM, Amboy Chapter, No. 174, R.A.M. and of Dixon Commandery, No. 21, Knights Templar.

Funeral services will be conducted Sunday afternoon from the Masonite Temple at Amboy at 3 o’clock, Rev. Earl M. Edwards, pastor of the Methodist church will conduct the service which will be followed by the services conducted by officers of Illinois Central lodge, No. 178, AF&AM. Eight members of the Amboy volunteer fire department will act as pallbearers and interment will be in Prairie Repose cemetery.

He is survived by his widow, M. Blanche MacKinnon, three sons, Charles W., of Adrian, Mich., Russell H., of Crystal Lake, Ill., and Kirby at home; also two daughters, Mrs. Emma Parker of Park Ridge, Ill., and Clara at home, besides six grandchildren.

Dixon (Ill.) Evening Telegraph, Mon., Oct. 8, 1984

Amboy – Kirkby S. MacKinnon, 76, 118 S. Mason Ave., died Sunday, Oct. 7 at Rockford Memorial Hospital after a long illness. He was employed by Amboy Milk Products for 37 years and at Raynor Manufacturing Company until retirement in 1973.

He was born August 19, 1908 in Amboy to John and Margaret (Harrison) MacKinnon. He was married to Frances Lepperd July 18, 1934 in Oregon.

He was a member of the First Congregational Church of Amboy, Illinois Central Lodge No. 178 AF&AM and Amboy Depot Museum. He was also a member of the Amboy Volunteer Fire Department for 39 years and served as chief for many years. He was past president of the Volunteer Fire Department Board of Trustees and past president of the Blackhawk Firefighters Association.

He was preceded in death by two sisters and two brothers. He is survived by his wife of Amboy; two sons, Kevin of Delavan, Wis. and John of Plymouth, Wis.; and four grandchildren.

Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday in the First Congregational Church, with the Rev. Susan Streevy officiating. Burial will be in Prairie Repose Cemetery. Friends may call from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Tuesday in Mihm-Jones Funeral Home and from 9 a.m. Wednesday until time of service. Masonic Service at 8 pm. Tuesday. Memorial has been established to the Amboy Volunteer Fire Department.

Undated Watertown (NY) Daily Times clipping (from Jefferson County Genealogical Society Family File)

Mrs. Virginia Majo Dies

Dexter – Mrs. Virginia May Phelps Majo, 123 West Bradley st., widow of L. Carl Majo , died on her 62nd birthday at 3:45 this morning in Mercy hospital, Watertown, where she was admited Wednesday. She had a heart condition.

The funeral will be Thursday at 2 p.m. at the Johnson Funeral Home. Spring burial will be in Dexter cemetery. Friends may call a the funeral home from 7 to 9 tonight and 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday.

Surviving are three children: Malcolm E., with whom she had lived: Mrs. Carl (Rita) Kizzer, 328 West Kirby St., Gary G., West Bradley St.; two brothers, Lyle Phelps, Adams, Star Route, Leo Phelps, Henderson; a sister, Mrs. Robert (Louise) Sherman, Chaumont, R.D.; five grandchildren and one great-granddaughter.

Born March 18, 1907, in Chaumont, a daughter of William S. and Cora Adams Phelps, she attended school in Chaumont and Dexter. She was a resident of Pillar Point when she was married on Feb. 8, 1924 in Dexter Methodist Church to Lewis Carl Majo, also of Pillar Point.

Mr. and Mrs. Majo lived on the former Dingman farm on the South Shore road, Pillar Point, then for three years on the old Hilliker farm on the northern edge of the village, before returning to the Dingman farm which they took over.

Mr. Majo died on Nov. 1, 1949, of injuries sustained the day before when the pickup truck he was driving skidded on the railroad tracks at Dexter Junction on the Cape Vincent highway and overturned. Mrs. Majo suffered minor injuries in the same accident.

Mrs. Majo continued to live on the Pillar Point farm until seven years ago when she and her son and his family moved to the village.

Sentinel Review, Woodstock, (Ont.) June 2, 1910

The Passing of An Early Pioneer
Mr. Richard Mayberry Died in His Chair – Was Born at St. John’s. 1829

One of the earliest pioneers of Oxford passed away yesterday morning when the hand of death claimed Mr. Richard Mayberry at the home of his son-in-law, Mr. M.C. Bell, of West Oxford. For the past year Mr. Mayberry had been suffering from heart trouble. Yesterday morning Mr. Bell was reading in an adjoining room to the one where Mr. Mayberry was sitting. A slight noise attracted his attention and going immediately into the room he discovered that Mr. Mayberry had just breathed his last.

The late Mr. Mayberry was born in St. John’s, Quebec, in the year 1819. When six years of age the family moved to Westminster and in 1837 to Ingersoll. Four years later they took up their residence at Hager’s (Hagle’s) Corners and here Mr. Mayberry lived practically the rest of his life.

In 1863 he was married to Miss Matilda Sibbald, who died just nine years ago. Since that time Mr. Mayberry has lived with his daughter, Mrs. M.C. Bell. For many years he was in the blacksmith and wagon business, but twenty years ago he retired. He leaves to mourn his loss three brothers all residing in Ingersoll, Messrs. John, James and George, two daughters, Mrs. L.E. Boyer of Harrietsville, and Mrs. M.C. Bell, West Oxford, and two sons, Mr. T.R. Mayberry, M.P.P. for South Oford, Mr. C.A. Mayberry, principal of the collegiate in Stratford.

The funeral will take place from the residence of this son-in-law, Mr. M.C. Bell, tomorrow afternoon, and proceed to the Harris St. cemetery.

Ingersoll Tribune, Thurs. Mar. 15, 1934, pg. 1:4


Scores of friends in Ingersoll and throughout the surrounding district, were shocked to learn of the sudden death on Saturday morning, March 10th of Lieutenant Colonel Thomas R. Mayberry, a prominent figure in the public life of Oxford County for a long number of years. Deceased has been in his office as usual, daily, and was on his way there from the home of his son, Harley Mayberry, West Oxford (twp) on Saturday morning when a heart attack overtook him and he proceded to the office of his physician, Dr. J.M. Rogers, where he had to be assisted from his car and death followed a few minutes after he was taken into the doctor’s office. Lt. Col. Mayberry would have been 80 years old this week.

He was born in Hagle’s Corners, in West Oxford (twp) a son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Mayberry. His early education was received in the schools of his native township and the Ingersoll Collegiate Institute. His records as a public servant is a most lengthy one. For a term of 6 years he served as Clerk-Treasurer of West Oxford (Twp). For several years he served as councilor and later as reeve of the township. In 1888 he was elected as warden of Oxford County. In the election of 1896 he contested the riding of South Oxford for the House of Commons as a Patron of Industry Candidate against the late Sir Richard Cartright, and was defeated by a majority of 750. In 1908 he was elected to the Ontario Legislature for South Oxford on the liberal ticket, defeating Hon. Donald Sutherland by a majority of 203. In the election of 1914, V.A. Sinclair, the Conservative candidate, defeated him by a majority of 1. He was an ex-chairman of the Ingersoll Board of Education on which he served for over 17 years. He was also a member of the Town Council for 2 years.

Under the Military Service Act, he was appointed Agricultural Representative of London and on other occasions had been selected by the government to act in various capacities. At one time he took an active part in the Militia and was Lt. Colonel and officer commanding the 24th Gray’s Horse Regiment, until the headquarters of this Regiment was moved to Wingham. For more than 49 years he had been associated with the Dereham and West Oxford Mutual Fire Insurance Company as secretary and manager. For many years he was a member of and auditor for the Ingersoll, North and West Oxford Agricultural Society. For some time he was chairman of the Agricultural committee of the Ingersoll Kiwanis Club and in that capacity fostered competitions between the juvenile farmers at the Ingersoll Fair.

Deceased was an outstanding member of the Ingersoll Baptist Church and had held numerous offices of trust and respect in that congregations. He had held the offices of deacon, church treasurer of the Board of trustees and also served on the finance board. He was a strong and consistent advocate of temperance, and was a member and official of South Oxford Prohibition Union. To these offices also he had given his best in time and service.

Col. Mayberry was an ardent lawn bowler and an advocate of clean and gentlemanly sport.

His wife, formerly Miss Laura Amelia Carpenter, predeceased him a number of years ago. Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. L.H. Thomas of Toronto; and Mrs. J.A. Welch of Vancouver; and one son R. Harley Mayberry of West Oxford (twp). There also survive one brother, Charles Mayberry of Stratford, and one sister, Mrs. L.D. Boyer of Harrietsville. James Mayberry, Ingersoll, is his only surviving uncle. Friends and acquaintances from every walk of life, filled the Ingersoll Baptist Church on Monday afternoon for the public service at 2:30 o’clock which followed a short private service held at the home of his son R.Harley Mayberry, West Oxford (twp). Rev. Don Cameron, minister of the church conducted the impressive service and in the course of his sermon alluded to the outstanding personality of the deceased and characterized him as a “Christian statesman whose place in the church and community would be a hard one to fill.” The choir of the church with Miss Edith Making at the organ, led the musical part of the service. Floral tributes indicated the respect and esteem in which Col Mayberry was held, there was a profusion of these, serving to bear silent tribute to that manifest by the attendance at the service. Interment was made in Harris Street cemetery, the pallbearers being Messrs. B.G. Jenvey, Arlington D. Robinson, Nelson Harris, Frank C. Phillips, H.I. Stewart and E.F. Waterhouse.

Members of the Ingersoll Kiwanis Club, the Town Council, Board of Education, Directors of the Dereham and West Oxford Mutual Fire Insurance Company, The Ingersoll Telephone Company and other public bodies were represented at the funeral. Others present include Dr. D.J. Sinclair, exMP, Woodstock, Hon. Donald Sutherland, exMP, R.A. Baxter, MLP, County Clerk Adam Roth, E.R. Allen, Special Representative; George Upshall, Western Development Plant Superintendent, Rose Douglas, Wester Division Manager; C.H. Beard, Western Division Special Agent, of London, representing the Bell Telephone Company, Bert Baulch, Manager of the London office, North Electric Company, F. Dagger, Chairman of Ontario Railway and Municipal Board, Toronto; Ralph Hoover, Secretary Treasurer Canadian Independent Telephone Association, Toronto; Hon. Nelson Parliament, Toronto.

Gratiot County (Mich.) Herald, April 2, 1964

Ed Moore Dies at 82

Services for Edward A. Moore, 82, of rural Bannister, were at Carter Funeral home, Elsie, Wednesday, April 1, the Rev. Ernest MacDonald officiating. Burial was in Ford cemetery.

Mr. Moore died Sunday at Owasso Memorial Hospital. He had been in failing health a year and a half.

He was born Dec. 15, 1882 in Martin, Ohio, son of Thomas and Jane Moore. All of his adult life was spent in the Bannister area. He married Agnes Cook, April 20, 1907, in Ithaca, and she died in 1955. Mr. Moore, a farmer, was a member of the Bannister Methodist Church and Bannister IOOF Lodge.

Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Helen Scott of Schuykill Haven, Pa.; two sons, Thomas and Richard, of rural Bannister; nine grandchildren, five great grandchildren; and five sisters, Mrs. Frank Oberlin of Bannister, Mrs. Ida Earnsthausen of Toledo, Ohio, Mrs. Lillian Earnsthausen of Toledo, Mrs. Gertie Griffith of Beaumont, Texas and Mrs. Sylvia Brennon of Long Beach, Calif. A daughter, Hilda, preceded him in death.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *